logo

Emma Raducanu urged to accept John McEnroe’s request despite Wimbledon criticism | tennis | Sports

Emma Raducanu was told to accept a meeting with John McEnroe, despite the retired pro’s constant criticism of her. The seven-time Grand Slam champion first sparked controversy over her comments about Raducanu when she quit mid-game at Wimbledon last year and has been one of her harshest critics ever since said he wanted to connect with her during Wimbledon this year with express sport Readers are urging the Brit to attend the meeting.

McEnroe has been a constant critic of Raducanu since her Grand Slam debut at Wimbledon last year, where she stormed into week two on her debut as world No. 338 but retired in the fourth round with breathing difficulties, like the American claimed the teenager couldn’t handle the pressure.

She silenced her naysayers, including the former world No. 1, when weeks later she became the first qualifier in history to win a major title at the US Open, but McEnroe has continued to scrutinize Raducanu’s performance in the year since her triumph taken while battling injuries and has yet to progress beyond a quarterfinal.

It then came as a surprise when he said he wanted to meet the world No. 10 earlier this year and more than half of Express Sport readers now believe the 19-year-old should take up his offer. In a poll of 19,581 readers, 52.5 percent said yes when asked if Raducanu should accept the American’s request for a meeting.

CURRENTLY AT: Alcaraz shoots down succession claims with Djokovic and Nadal admitted

It comes after the 63-year-old revealed he had never had a conversation with Raducanu despite his comments about the US Open champion, and shared his eagerness to meet the tennis star. “I’m not close to her. As a matter of fact. In fact, I never spoke to her,” he said Tennis365 during this year’s Wimbledon.

“I hope to have the opportunity soon because it’s obviously a breath of fresh air. She is a very sweet girl, a beautiful girl and plays great tennis. What’s not to like.” While a majority of Express Sport readers thought the Bromley native should face the seven-time Major champion, 28.5 percent were unsure, while 19 percent felt they that she should avoid McEnroe.

The world No. 10 is likely to face McEnroe at the upcoming US Open when she returns to face the challenge of defending her first – and so far only – title of her career later this month. Their preparations for North American hard-court swing started well with a quarterfinal appearance in Washington last week, but then took a wrong turn lost in the opening round on Tuesday in Toronto.

DO NOT MISS

Djokovic lacks support from tennis fans as Biden says to ignore request
Nick Kyrgio’s antics defended as Aussie ‘leading tennis into a new era’
Nick Kyrgios’ reaction to being given a ‘taste of his own medicine’

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.