The US Open 2022 is finally here. Serena Williams wants to participate in her last professional tournament. Although Williams has no rank, she will be climax the Monday table. Is Williams ready for a miracle run? It’s not to be expected, but you never know with Williams.
On the men’s side, things will look a little different above. Novak Djokovic cannot travel to the United States because of his decision remain unvaccinated for COVID-19. This leaves Daniil Medvedev, who was unable to take part in Wimbledon due to the tournament ban for Russian players, as the top seed. Medvedev won the US Open in 2021 and wants to repeat it.
Other major storylines include whether Rafael Nadal can handle his foot injury and run deep, whether Coco Gauff can continue her climb up the rankings and whether Naomi Osaka can find her form.
A deep run can’t begin without a Day 1 win, so keep it here for all the news, notes and analysis from Day 1 of the 2022 US Open.
Coco Gauff beats Leolia Jeanjean to qualify for the second round
Coco Gauff looked strong in the first round of the 2022 US Open on Monday. Gauff defeated Leolia Jeanjean in straight sets (6-2, 6-3) to advance to Round 2.
Gauff brought the dish to thunderous applause from the spectators.
Gauff accumulated eight aces throughout the game, not allowing Jeanjean to register a single ace. Gauff is hoping for a run at the US Open after a recent appearance at the French Open in June. Gauff has yet to make it through the third round of the US Open as a singles player. She made it to the US Open doubles final last year.
Daniil Medvedev is in the first round of the US Open
Daniil Medvedev wasted no time in living up to his US Open No. Medvedev defeated American Stefan Kozlov in straight sets to advance to the second round of the event.
Medvedev dominated the match and won 6:2, 6:4, 6:0. He had 10 aces to Kozlov’s zero. It was another dominant performance from Medvedev, who is targeting a repeat after winning the US Open in 2021.
With the win, Medvedev meets Arthur Rinderknech in the second round on Wednesday.
JJ Wolf upset No. 16 Roberto Bautista Agut in straight sets
There will be at least one big surprise on the first day of the US Open. American JJ Wolf defeated No. 16 Roberto Bautista Agut in straight sets (6-4, 6-4, 6-4) to advance to the second round of the event.
Wolf’s serve was a great weapon against Agut. Wolf registered 13 aces during the game. After the win, Wolf showed his hops.
Wolf, 23, was ranked 87th as a singles player.
No.7 Simona Halep upset with Daria Snigur
Daria Snigur clinched her first tour-level win at the best time.
Snigur beat No. 7 Simona Halep 6-2, 0-6, 6-4 on Monday, just days after qualifying for the event.
The win is particularly impressive for Snigur, who dominated Halep in a quick second set – where she won 24 points from 30. However, Snigur took a 5-1 lead in the final set and then held on to win the match.
Maria Sakkari goes the distance in victory over Tatjana Maria
Maria Sakkari won the first round of the US Open on Monday but needed three sets to get past Tatjana Maria.
Sakkari played a few hard-fought games against Maria early on, but eventually won the first set 6-4. Maria recovered in the second set and won 6-3. With her back to the wall, Sakkari found her footing. She didn’t let Maria make a single play in the final set, winning the final set 6-0 and claiming the match win.
Sakkari started Monday’s tournament as No. 3 on the women’s side.
Maxime Cressy is eliminated in the first round by Márton Fucsovics
The American Maxime Cressy has withdrawn from the first round of the US Open 2022 due to injury. Cressy was behind Márton Fucsovics in the third set at the time of Cressy’s elimination.
After winning the first set 7-6 against Fucsovics, Cressy lost the second set 5-7. He then fell 1-5 in the third set before retiring from the event. It’s unclear what prompted Cressy to take himself out of the match. He came into the US Open as the men’s No. 30 and was expected to make it through the first round.
Alison Riske-Amritraj beats Eleana Yu in straight sets
In a fight between two American women, the higher-ranked woman prevailed. Alison Riske-Amritraj defeated Eleana Yu in straight sets (6-2, 6-4) to advance to the second round at the US Open.
With the win, Riske became the first American to advance at the 2022 US Open. She faces Camila Osorio in the second round, which takes place on Wednesday.
Tommy Paul goes the distance and wins to advance to the second round
American Tommy Paul needed a late rally to get past Bernabe Zapata Miralles in the first round of the US Open. After losing two of the first three sets (4-6, 6-4, 2-6), Paul had to bring his A-game in the last two sets.
He delivered. Paul played his best tennis of the day in the fourth set and won 6-0. Zapata Miralles fought hard in the final set but Paul prevailed 7-5. With the win, Paul will face fellow American Sebastian Korda in Round 2.
Ons Jabeur passes Brengle
Once things got going, Ons Jabeur had no trouble getting past American Madison Brengle on Monday afternoon.
Jabeur, the No. 5, beat Brengle in straight sets 7-5, 6-2 to exit the first round of the Grand Slam. On Wednesday she meets Elizabeth Mandlik in the second round.
Dart knocks off #10 Kasatkina
Daria Kasatkina’s run at the US Open ended before it even started.
Harriet Dart defeated No. 10 seed Kasatkina after a marathon in the first set on Monday to win 7-6 (10-8) 1-6 6-3. It was Dart’s first-ever win against a top-10 opponent.
Dart bounced back after also losing the second set 6-1 and then won the final three games after opening 3-3 in the final set.
Auger-Aliassime advances past Ritschard
Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime moves on.
Auger-Aliassime ended his first round game on Monday against the Swiss Alexander Ritschard 6: 3, 6: 4, 3: 6, 6: 3. He had little trouble against Ritschard except in the third set when the qualifier stormed out with a quick 4-1 lead to extend the match.
However, Auger-Aliassime quickly turned things around, finishing the fourth set to win the match and make it to the second round.
Other notable results
• Andy Murray upset No. 24 Francisco Cerundolo in straight sets to reach the second round of the 2022 US Open. Murray, 35, had dominance throughout the game, winning seven straight games at one point. Murray also had six aces in the win.
• Veronika Kudermetova defeated Donna Vekić in straight sets to advance to the second round. Kudermetova entered the tournament as number 18. She registered eight aces to Vekić’s two in the win.
• America’s Ann Li lost her first-round match to Camila Osorio on Monday. Li looked strong in the first set and won 6-1. She then lost the last two sets (6-3, 6-1) and lost the match.
• Caroline Garcia defeated Kamilla Rakhimova in straight sets in the first round. Garcia competed as the No. 17 women’s US Open. She meets Anna Kalinskaya in the second round, who defeated Rebecca Peterson on Monday.
• American Sebastian Korda defeated Facundo Bagnis in the first round of the US Open on Monday. Korda needed four sets to prevail against Bagnis. With the win, Korda meets American Tommy Paul in the second round.
• Beatriz Haddad Maia knocked out Ana Konjuh in the first round on Monday. Haddad Maia didn’t let Konjuh win a single game in the dominant win (6:0, 6:0). Haddad Maia finished 15th in the women’s tournament. She meets Bianca Andreescu on Wednesday.
• Elilio Nava needed five sets but edged John Millman 7-6 (9-7) 4-6 7-6 (7-4) 1-6 6-1 thanks to a dominant last game on Monday . Nava will now face Andy Murray on Wednesday.
• Matteo Burrettini easily defeated Nicolas Jarry 6-2, 6-3, 6-3 in the first round on Monday. The Italian, number 13, meets Hugo Grenier on Wednesday.
• 5th seed Casper Ruud won his first round match in straight sets against Kyle Edmund, winning 6-3 7-5 6-2. Ruud plays Tim Van Rijthoven in the second round.
• He almost made it in straight sets but Pablo Carreno Busta advances to the second round. The Spaniard prevailed in the first round against Dominic Theim 7: 5, 6: 1, 5: 7, 6: 3.
This story will be updated.