Todd Woodbridge, a former Australian athlete-turned-broadcaster, expressed that sentiment regarding Kyrgio’s behavior during his second-round win over France’s Benjamin Bonzi, in which the fiery 27-year-old appeared to aim for those in his player’s box – where under Another Hatzi, 22, sat – and asked her to make her support louder.
Warning: Explicit language
“The behavior is just not helpful and it’s just not healthy,” Woodbridge said on Australia’s Channel 9. according to News.com.au.
“The people sitting in his player box have to act. This action should probably get up and walk out. They have nothing to do with what is happening on the pitch. It’s up to Nick to take the shots and hit the plays.”
During Wednesday’s third set, Kyrgios – currently world no. The Wimbledon finalist A warning was issued for the outburst, during which he also spat onto the pitch, apparently in the direction of the penalty area.
In a post-match press conference, Kyrgios said it had been a “stressful time” and that he and his team were confident of “getting deep into the tournament”.
“I’m just happy I got through,” said Kyrgios after beating Bonzi 7-6 (7-3), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
“It was a very stressful time. Me and my team have high expectations going deep this week and I’m just glad I pulled through.”
Kyrgios meets American JJ Wolf in the third round on Friday.
Ahead of the tournament Kyrgios enjoyed some time off in New York with Hatzi by his side. As a social media influencer, Hatzi has traveled the world with Kyrgios in recent months and supported him at various tournaments.
The couple went public with their relationship late last year after Kyrgios and Chiara Passari split. In July, News.com.au reports that Kyrgios had been accused of assaulting his former partner stemming from an incident in December 2021. He is due in court in October.