Roger Federer is reportedly in serious doubts for the Laver Cup later this month is supposed to be his return to tennis after more than a year on the sidelines.
The 41-year-old champion has not played since losing in the fourth round at Wimbledon in 2021 following a third knee operation.
‘STOP HEARING’: Tennis fans react to sad news from Novak Djokovic
The 20-time Grand Slam champion became slowly working his way back up to full fitness and is scheduled to return at the Laver Cup on September 23 – along with Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray in the Europe team.
However, reports from Switzerland have revealed that Federer is highly unlikely to play due to knee fluid and inflammation.
According to Swiss publication daily scoreboardFederer could be forced to play an easier Laver Cup schedule or skip the event entirely.
If he plays, he must play at least one singles and one doubles match according to the rules of the event.
Should Federer be forced to miss the event, it would be a huge blow to the organizers as fans could snag tickets at skyrocketing prices at the prospect of seeing the Swiss legend play alongside great rivals Nadal, Djokovic and Murray.
The Laver Cup has been touted as the first time all four members of the ‘Big 4’ have played together on the same team, but they exist too Doubts about Nadal’s participation.
Speaking of after his loss in the fourth round At the US Open, the Spaniard said he wasn’t sure when he’d be back on the court.
With his wife Xisca expecting their first baby for weeks and currently hospitalized in Spain, Nadal said he must put his private life first.
“Now I have to go home, I have more important things to do than tennis,” he said.
“Decisions are made based on my personal life, which comes before my professional life.
“It’s been a bit difficult for a few months, but I want to end the year with something very important, which is my first child.
“I have to go back. I have to fix things. I don’t know when I’ll be back.
“I’ll try to be mentally ready. If I feel like I’m ready to compete again, I’ll be there.”
Tennis fans have been shaken by reports that Federer could be forced to miss the Laver Cup.
Roger Federer returns to Basel in October
Federer had fans in a frenzy last month when he posted footage of himself on the practice pitch ahead of his return.
The Swiss legend has reportedly trained with former professional player Ivo Huenberger.
He has signed on to play the ATP event in Basel in October, which could be his return to the pitch if he is unable to play the Laver Cup.
There were reports that Federer is close to announcing his retirement, but the 41-year-old hinted at Wimbledon in July that he wanted to play the Grand Slam on grass one last time.
“It’s great to be here with all the other champions,” Federer said during a ceremony marking the 100th anniversary of Wimbledon’s Center Court.
“This place has given me my biggest wins and my biggest losses. I hope I can come back again.
“I missed it here. I knew when I walked out of here last year it was going to be a tough year. I maybe didn’t think it would take so long to come back – the knee was tough for me.”
click here to sign up for our newsletter with the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.