With Arrow McLaren SP weighing a fourth car for the Indy 500, Kyle Busch is a contender but not high on the IndyCar team’s list.
McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown raised the possibility during a video press conference with Gavin Ward on Wednesday morning. the team’s newly appointed race director.
“I haven’t personally spoken to Kyle Busch, but you can read that someone else in our organization did,” Brown said. “We want to make sure that if we drive a fourth car, we want someone who has 500 experience. It’s such an important race and in terms of the championship we have that. We have three riders that we want to finish as strong as possible. So when we drive a fourth car, we want to be additive, not just to the fourth car itself, but to the three cars, and so bringing in someone who isn’t having done that before might not add that value from an experiential perspective. “
Busch will drive the #8 Chevrolet for Richard Childress Racing next NASCAR season as part of a new deal This allows the two-time Cup Series champion to make his Indy 500 debut. Busch, who had a previous deal to race the Indy 500 that was nixed by Joe Gibbs Racing, has openly courted Chevy IndyCar teams to contact him during his inaugural press conference with RCR last month.
McLaren is the second-best Chevy organization after Team Penske (which has given no hint of a fourth car in Indy alongside champion Will Power, Josef Newgarden and Scott McLaughlin) and has fielded an additional Indy 500 car for Juan in the last two years Pablo Montoya. The Associated Press reported last month that McLaren was in “serious talk” about running Busch in Indy with Menard’s sponsorship.
but with newly structured managementthe team is in the midst of a significant expansion for 2023. AMSP adds a third full-time car to the team in Pato O’Ward and Felix Rosenqvist for 2016 Indy 500 winner Alexander Rossi, and A huge new store is also being built in the Indianapolis area.
“[It’s]not because of him, it’s purely because of his experience,” Brown said of Busch. “He’s a great talent and would be huge news for the speedway. But yes, I think everyone will be considered if we decide to do it, but experience is high on the list, which will be the most important thing for us.”
And it seems likely there will be a veteran to join Rossi, O’Ward and Rosenqvist at the Brickyard.
“A fourth car at the 500 is very much being considered,” Brown said. “I wouldn’t want to anticipate anything, but we wouldn’t rule out a fourth car as a full-time job in the future. That would definitely not be for ’23. But as we expand the team and get into bigger facilities and things like that, Gavin and I have been talking about it.
“I think we would be able to run a fourth car at the 500 next year. If we do decide to do that we will make that decision soon to best prepare and I would say we are headed for a fourth car in ’24 and beyond and will probably make that decision in time for mid next year so be prepared if we decide to do so.”
Brown also addressed the future of Alex Palou, who will drive for Chip Ganassi Racing next season after also signing a deal with McLaren. Although Brown declined to elaborate on whether Palou had signed a new contract, he did confirm that Palou will continue to “test our Formula 1 car from time to time.
“Everyone has found an amicable solution,” said Brown. “We now had Alex in our Formula 1 car, as we have Pato. This will remain so in the future, which we are very much looking forward to. At this point we are focused on 2023 and happy to have the noise behind us and now just want to put our heads down and get on with the three riders we have.”
Kyle Busch interests McLaren in Indy 500, but team leans toward experience originally appeared on NBCSports.com